Richard Capachione to pay back $150,000 in restitution for residence enhancement rip-off impacting dozens of shoppers
BOSTON (WWLP) – A dwelling improvement contractor is banned from accomplishing business enterprise in Massachusetts immediately after a settlement with the Lawyer General’s Workplace.
Lawyer Standard Maura Healey introduced Tuesday, Richard Capachione, a dwelling advancement contractor from Acton, has been banned from proudly owning or handling a construction company and will pay $150,000 in restitution following allegations that he ripped off dozens of householders in Massachusetts.
Capachione is expected to close his three corporations, New England Hardscapes, Inc., Aqua Outdoor Environments, and R and R Consulting, LLC less than the consent judgment entered in Suffolk Exceptional Court docket. Considering the fact that 2013, Capachione supplied design companies these as, the installation and construction of swimming swimming pools and pool decks, and the development of outdoor dwelling spaces and retaining walls.
The investigation began in 2019 after the Attorney General’s Place of work acquired problems from consumers alleging that they have been paying out for dwelling improvement assignments, only for those people assignments to remain unfinished. Capachione in the long run submitted for individual bankruptcy.
The AG’s Business office alleged that Capachione violated state consumer security rules, and the Home Enhancement Contractor Act by entering into created agreements with new consumers that lacked essential disclosures expected by the legislation, together with the contractor’s registration variety, a comprehensive description of the function to be performed, the date when the challenge was scheduled to commence and significantly accomplished, and notice that the contractor was needed to be registered with the state’s Workplace of Buyer and Business Affairs (OCABR).
“Remodeling a household can be a enormous, pricey energy, and it is devastating when properties are remaining in even worse issue than they started off, with revenue put in on unfinished work,” reported AG Healey. “This settlement returns 1000’s of pounds to Massachusetts house owners who had been taken benefit of by this contractor’s deceptive tactics.”
Recommendations: Hiring a home improvement contractor
- Store wisely and do investigate. Check with your buddies and neighbors for tips about contractors they have used and belief and often request contractors for references. Examine to make sure your contractor is registered with the Workplace of Buyer Affairs and Business enterprise Regulation, which will make it possible for you to verify any complaint background.
- Solicitations. Be additional cautious if a contractor solicits organization by the cellular phone or by knocking on the door.
- Get it in crafting. Make positive you get hold of a created agreement or value estimate that facts the occupation that will be finished. For extra advanced jobs, check with for an itemized estimate.
- Permits. Your registered home enhancement contractor should get any creating permits expected by your city or city. If you pull the permits yourself, you harm your capability to recover if something goes wrong.
- Upfront charges. Be cautious of contractors who desire the entire cost of the work up entrance. For most dwelling improvement tasks that exceed $1,000, consumers simply cannot be required to make a deposit of extra than a person-third of the venture price tag in progress, other than for orders of tailor made-made materials.
- Speak to the AG’s Office’s customer guidance hotline with questions 617-727-8400 or file a grievance online in this article.