Massachusetts Attorney Standard Maura Healey’s business office declared on Tuesday that residence enhancement contractor Richard Capachione is banned from owning or taking care of building providers in the condition and is to pay $150,000 in restitution.
As element of the settlement, the Suffolk Top-quality Courtroom purchased the dissolution of the three household advancement organizations owned by Capachione. Particularly, New England Hardscapes Inc., Aqua Outdoor Environments and R and R Consulting LLC.
The AG’s office alleges that for many years, Capachione, by way of his 3 firms, collected hundreds of 1000’s of bucks in customer deposits and periodic payments for dwelling enhancement assignments across the point out that were being both in no way commenced or abandoned mid-way via, leaving numerous properties harmed and in unsafe and unsanitary disorders.
“Remodeling a dwelling can be a significant, pricey work, and it is devastating when homes are left in worse situation than they started, with funds spent on unfinished perform,” reported Healey. “This settlement returns 1000’s of dollars to Massachusetts house owners who were taken benefit of by this contractor’s misleading techniques.”
Considering the fact that 2013, Capachione’s organizations have been furnishing design expert services in Massachusetts, exclusively, the installation and design of swimming pools and pool decks, out of doors residing areas and retaining partitions.
“Capachione would then have interaction in a sample of delays and excuses, ultimately failing to perform the renovations or provide the materials he was compensated to deliver or procure,” stated the assertion from the AG’s workplace. “Despite Capachione and his businesses becoming fiscally unstable, he ongoing to solicit new business, enter into new agreements, and settle for new deposits from buyers.”
Right after getting several issues and allegations from previous shoppers of Capachione’s, Healey’s business office commenced its investigation in 2019.
In accordance to Healey’s business office, Capachione would enter into published agreements with new consumers that lacked the essential disclosures needed by the law. The AG’s business mentioned that this incorporated the contractor’s registration range, a specific description of the operate to be carried out, and the date when the venture was scheduled to begin and be considerably finished.
The AG’s workplace presents the subsequent steering to individuals who are contemplating hiring a household advancement contractor:
- Shop correctly and do research. Inquire your good friends and neighbors for recommendations about contractors they have employed and have confidence in and generally ask contractors for references. Test to make sure your contractor is registered with the Workplace of Shopper Affairs and Organization Regulation, which will allow you to verify any criticism record.
- Solicitations. Be additional cautious if a contractor solicits business by the cellphone or by knocking on the doorway.
- Get it in crafting. Make confident you obtain a published contract or value estimate that particulars the job that will be completed. For extra complex initiatives, question for an itemized estimate.
- Permits. Your registered home advancement contractor must get any creating permits expected by your city or town. If you pull the permits oneself, you hurt your potential to get better if one thing goes mistaken.
- Upfront fees. Be wary of contractors who demand from customers the whole selling price of the operate up entrance. For most household improvement projects that exceed $1,000, buyers are not able to be necessary to make a deposit of more than one particular-third of the undertaking rate in progress, besides for orders of personalized-manufactured materials.
Make contact with the AG’s Office’s client assistance hotline with inquiries 617-727-8400 or file a complaint online.